Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic has been cleared to play one more club game following a head knock that nearly ruled him out for the weekend. Trbojevic sustained the knock during last Wednesday’s Origin opener after being hit high by Queensland’s Tom Flegler, who was penalized with a grade two careless high tackle charge. Despite being removed from the field, the Sea Eagles star was not diagnosed with concussion, according to the team’s chief club medical officer, Dr. Paul Bloomfield. Trbojevic will now lead the Sea Eagles on Friday night, marking the 11-day stand down period that the NRL has set for concussion protocols.
The Sea Eagles have made a statement regarding Trbojevic’s health. The team said that it had internally and externally conducted a comprehensive process that lasted for a while, examining Trbojevic’s health status following the high tackle episode. The statement revealed that Trbojevic had not sustained a concussion, and he had undergone diagnosis and consultation with medical professionals who confirmed his concussion-free status.
Manly CEO Tony Mestrov emphasized that, after Trbojevic had initially been removed from the field, he had been well-cared for and determined safe to return to games. Trbojevic neither has a history of concussion problems, he said, nor did he receive any such diagnosis from either Dr. Bloomfield, NSW Dr. Nathan Gibbs, or independent doctor Dr. Chris Levi.
If Trbojevic had been found to have a concussion, he would have been subject to an 11-day stand down under the new NRL concussion protocols. This situation would have meant that he would not have been available to play one more club game, which could have been crucial ahead of Blues coach Brad Fittler‘s picking his Origin II team after round 15. Fortunately, Trbojevic’s clearance means that he will be available for selection for Origin II.